Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. One of the wonderful literary treasures to be found in the British Library (J. Ritblat Gallery) is an original manuscript of 'The Iliad' in English translation. This translation was done between 1715 and 1720 by which of these remarkable British literary giants?
2. In 1805 Admiral Horatio Nelson, one of the great military heroes in British history, was in the midst of staving off Napoleon's fleet. Two days before his death during the Battle of Trafalgar he wrote his last letter. To whom was this missal written?
3. The greatest masterpiece of early Anglo-Saxon book production, the 'Lindisfarne Gospels', can also be found in the British Library. In which county of England was the Monastery of Lindisfarne to be found?
4. An original manuscript of George Bauer Agricola's most famous work can be found in the British Library. His work was the standard text for which of the following disciplines for several centuries?
5. Another very interesting letter contained within the British Library is one from Sir Isaac Newton to another scientist who had accused him of plagiarizing some of his work. Which of these scientists accused Newton of plagiarizing his work in Newton's 'Trajectory of Falling Bodies'?
6. True or false: One of the original exemplifications of the Magna Carta may be found in the British Library.
7. Not without its share of original manuscripts, the Ritblat Gallery contains the initial draft of Lewis Carroll's beloved children's story 'Alice in Wonderland'. What was his original name for this work?
8. Another manuscript held at the Ritblat Gallery, this one of a 'History of England', was an early work of authorship from which of these famed English novelists?
9. One of Leonardo da Vinci's notebooks is a part of the Ritblat collection at the British Library. What is interesting about the writing style that Leonardo employed, and is evident in the examples displayed in the gallery?
10. Here's a relatively easy question to end the quiz. In 1623 the 'First Folio', a copy of which can be viewed at the British Library was first published...whose work was contained within?
Source: Author thejazzkickazz
This quiz was reviewed by our editing team before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.