Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In the seventh century BC the Hanging Gardens of Babylon were built. Nineveh, the capital of Assyria, became the largest city in the world. What is the name of the magnificent library established in Nineveh during this period?
2. This library is believed to have been established in the early part of the third century BC. The Colossus of Rhodes was built. The Ptolemies led Egypt during this time. What is the name of the library?
3. Constantius II, son of Constantine the Great, provided much of the impetus in the continuation of this library, along with a large staff of scribes and librarians. Which ancient library was it?
4. It was during this decade that Johannes Gutenberg revolutionized printing in Europe, with his invention of printing by movable type. Pope Nicholas V began acquiring materials for this library in 1448. What is the name of this library?
5. Founded on April 24th, 1800, this library is listed by "The Guinness Book of World Records," as the "World's Largest Library." In which country is this library?
6. Giacomo Casanova was a prolific author and, in some circles, he is referred to as "the world's greatest lover." Is it true that he was also a librarian?
7. It was one year prior to the 1896 Olympic Games. In which U.S. city, was one of the largest metropolitan public library founded?
8. This national library is located in the capital city of the country. It holds a vast Asian collection, as well as great multimedia collections on the country's history and culture. Which country's library is this?
9. During the 1870s, deadly famines struck Persia, China and India. However, in the U.S., it was the advent of the "Gilded Age." Who was the American librarian, responsible for the development of a method of library classification, based on a decimal system?
10. The age of "The American Old West," was over during this decade. Founded in 1895, this prominent public library, renowned for its research and reference collections, is one of the largest in the United States. What is the name of this library?
Source: Author christopherm
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.