Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In which English university city is the Bodleian Library located?
2. Along with the British Library, the Bodleian Library is a Legal Deposit Library for the United Kingdom. There are six of these altogether for the UK; which of these options is NOT one of them?
3. The origins of the Bodleian Library go back to the fourteenth century, when the city's first ever public library was founded by Thomas Cobham.
Which of these offices did he hold from 1317 until his death in 1327?
4. During the 1430s, the Bodleian Library underwent a great expansion, with the addition of an important collection of books and manuscripts.
Who was the wealthy donor of this new material?
5. Before being granted admission to the Bodleian Library, a would-be user must swear an oath to take care of the books.
Which of these activities has been specifically forbidden from the library in this oath, since it was translated into English from the original Latin?
6. The Bodleian Library was officially opened under that name in the year 1602, after Mr. Bodley took an interest in it and assisted the University with its revival after a period of decline.
What was Mr. Bodley's first name?
7. By what name is the entrance to the "Old Library" of the Bodleian Library now known?
8. In the early 1860s, the Bodleian Library expanded into a nearby building, designed by the Royal Physician to the British monarchs William and Mary, James Gibbs.
What name is given to this circular building in the Palladian style?
9. The Clarendon Building became part of the Bodleian Library in 1975. It was designed by the famous architect Nicholas Hawksmoor and built in the early eighteenth century.
What was its original purpose?
10. After the very first Librarian was appointed to the post at the Bodleian in 1599, it took until 2007 before a female was given the job.
What was the name of the very first woman to be appointed "Bodley's Librarian"?
Source: Author Rowena8482
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.