Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Not exclusive to North America yet a carnivore that is easily recognized due to its dog-like appearance. It species name is Canis lupus. Who is this carnivore - the subject of debate and lore?
2. The male of this species is called a boar and the female is called a sow. A grown boar may weigh over 1500 pounds (almost 700 kilograms), making it one of the largest members of the order Carnivora. Who is this apex predator native to the Arctic regions of North America?
3. Historically, this big cat has enjoyed a range from southern Canada, throughout the United States, and into Mexico. Who is this feline, so named for a "missing" body part?
4. This carnivore has more nerve endings in their powerful paws that humans do in their hands. Physical characteristics of its face and its tail make this mammal one of the most easily recognized in the entire animal kingdom. Who is the animal nicknamed "rascal" and/or "bandit"?
5. Its most common habitat was what gave this carnivore its name. Its numbers were drastically reduced not only due to habitat loss but due to taking it for its prime fur. Who is this member of Mustelidae (weasel) family?
6. In the wild this carnivore is more prevalent in Alaska and Canada than in the lower forty-eight states (of the United States) due to its habitat requisite of either alpine or arctic environment. This animal is traditionally thought to be Michigan's official state animal since Michigan's nickname includes its name. Which one?
7. A carnivore that once was thought to be a very close relative of members of the animals who comprise the "weasel-like" family was given its own separate classification. A unique animal not only due to its appearance but due to its well-known means of defense. Which animal is very well known for its ability to spray a musky odor - up to ten feet - when threatened?
8. Many characteristics of this carnivore make it unique among animals. If you get a glimpse of their face you should notice two most distinguishing features: both sexes have elongated canine teeth we call tusks and both sexes sport a broad area of Vibrissae or whiskers making them appear to have a moustache. Who is this arctic pinniped?
9. A sea lion can correctly be called a seal; a seal can correctly be called a sea lion. They are the same animal and those names can be used interchangeably. True or False?
10. A member of the Canidae family on the organizational chart that has a "dog-like" appearance, this carnivore was considered to be extinct in North America as recently as 1980. Reintroduction programs have had mixed success and as of the early 2000s it was estimated that less than 100 of them were in the wild. Who are these controversial canines?
Source: Author cowboybluedog
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.