Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The colony of Georgia, as originally established prior to statehood, was intended as a buffer zone to protect the English in the Carolinas from the Spanish, who held Florida. For the most part, what type of people were imported from England to settle in the coastal area between these two opposing factions?
2. Rome, Sparta, Athens, Berlin, Cairo, Bremen, Smyrna, Dublin and Vienna: these are just some of the names of cities and towns in Georgia that have roots in other parts of the world. Which ones had their names deliberately mispronounced, due to World War II anti-war sentiments?
3. Those pesky 'redskins'! They just WOULD NOT cooperate with the early European settlers. Some of my ancestors ran some of my OTHER ancestors away from their homes, all for the sake of gold. The first major gold rush in the United States was near which north Georgia city?
4. Georgia has had five official capitals since its original inception as a British Crown colony, with the modern capital being Atlanta. Which of the following cities has NOT been one of Georgia's capitals?
5. The state of Georgia was the last of the original 13 colonies, but was one of a handful of states to be admitted to the Union TWICE! (This, of course, was due to the re-admittance of the southern states after the War Between the States.) Georgia was admitted to the United States for the FIRST time in which numerical order?
6. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Georgia's population was nearly ten million people.
7. Hard to believe? Believe it, it really happened!
Which U.S. congressman, who represented my home district, lost his life when an airplane in which he was a passenger was shot down by the Soviets over the sea of Japan in 1983?
8. One cannot really discuss Georgia in detail without including some type of weather report. Generally speaking, what type of climate does MOST of Georgia have?
9. The only North American marsupial is the Virginia opossum. Georgia has its own 'possum, directly related to its northern cousin. What is the name of Georgia's official 'possum mascot?
10. Ahhh! My favorite city in Georgia. Maybe it's because of the location, maybe because the city is so beautiful, maybe its just because of the wonderful people who live there... no matter. I LOVE this town! It is simply my favorite place to visit, anywhere in the state. (They'd love to see you, too!) So tell me, what is the name of this Atlantic coastal city that was given as a Christmas present to a U.S. president?
Source: Author logcrawler
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.