Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. International celebrities such as Ian Fleming, Noel Coward and Naomi Campbell were so captivated by the lush beauty of the area around Jamaica's Oracabessa that they acquired luxury villas there. Which of these estates was owned by Noel Coward?
2. A flat alluvial plain is the most suitable landform for the cultivation of sugar cane. Monymusk Sugar Estate in the parish of Clarendon is located on one of Jamaica's five Great Plains. On which plain is Monymusk located?
3. This is Jamaica's most famous bridge. It was built across the Rio Cobre, a major river, to shorten the route connecting towns on the north coast to Kingston, the island's capital in the south. Name the bridge and the Middlesex parish in which it is located.
4. Which of the following statements correctly describes the location of the capital town of Mandeville?
5. In 1893 one of Jamaica's seven National Heroes was born on the Roxborough Estate in this parish. He was a renowned political leader who saw active military service in World War I. Who was this man and in which parish was he born?
6. In 1658 the English and Spanish forces fought the final pitched battle for possession of Jamaica at Rio Nuevo in this parish. Can you name the parish?
7. This place is recognized as the point of the first landing on Jamaica in 1494 by Christopher Columbus. He found no permanent river there so he named the spot 'Puerto Seco' or Dry Harbour. What is the current name of this site and in what parish is it located?
8. Every year since 1953, the Jamaica Agricultural Society has staged an agricultural, industrial and food show that has become the largest of its kind in the English Caribbean. The show grounds are found in a parish that lies on the south coast of the island. Name the show and the parish in which it is held?
9. This Great House was built in 1740 to overlook the town of St. Ann's Bay. Standing at over 1,200 feet (357 m) above sea level, it offers one of the most picturesque views in Jamaica. What is the name of the house?
10. A sea port located to the west of Old Harbour Bay, Middlesex, was created in 1952 to export a portion of Jamaica's bauxite and alumina production. State the name of the port and the parish in which it is located.
Source: Author mynah5459song
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.