Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Chile wasn't always an independent country. The Chilean War of Independence started in 1810, but it was a few years before the formal Declaration of Independence took place. When did that happen?
2. Long before the War of Independence, Chile became a Spanish colony in 1540. Which important Chilean city did Spanish conquistador Pedro de Valdivia found a few months later?
3. During the 1570s, two major earthquakes shook Chile and led to tragic losses.
4. The Mapuche, an indigenous people in south Chile, resisted the Spanish colonizers for centuries. What is this conflict known as?
5. In the aftermath of the War of the Confederation (1836-39) against Peru and Bolivia, what did Chile accomplish?
6. In 1891, Chile entered a civil war. What was the cause of it?
7. In the 1910s, there were multiple government juntas in Chile.
8. What major event happened on May 22, 1960?
9. What year did the coup d'état that led to President Salvador Allende being overthrown take place?
10. Finally, in the spring of 1990, democracy returned to Chile. In what manner did this happen?
Source: Author Gil_Galad
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.