Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. On October 14, 1983, Prime Minister Maurice Bishop was placed under house arrest and was ousted from power during a military coup. What Caribbean nation was he the Prime Minister of?
2. Early Amerindian cultures on the island of St. Lucia commonly referred to this island as "Hewanorra". What is the meaning of this Amerindian word?
3. Barbados was probably named in reference to the fig trees on the island that looked like "large beards". What European sailors first founded Barbados giving it this unique name?
4. Marcus Mosiah Garvey was a black activist and a labor leader. He founded one of Jamaica's first political parties in the late 1920s and was also a key figure in creating a workers association during the early 1930s. The Ras Taffari brotherhood or "Rastafarians" were a political and religious organization in Jamaica that owe their origins and success to Garvey. The Ras Taffari organization began worshipping what African monarch as their god in 1935?
5. Which of these locations is widely regarded as the birthplace of the Catholicism on the island of Aruba?
6. In 1919, the United States passed what act, that unintentionally allowed the Bahamas to become one of the more prosperous nations in the world during the rum-running years?
7. Although the nation of Haiti was poor and unstable prior to 1957, the vast majority of Haitians would become subject to rigged political elections, terror, police repression, and would suffer severe economical and educational instability with the election of a new president. Which of the following became president of Haiti in 1957, abused his power and declared himself "President for Life" in 1964?
8. Which of the following aircraft or ships was *not* reported to have gone missing in the Bermuda Triangle?
9. Which of the following sailed from Dominica to the Orinoco River to commemorate the rememberance of the journey taken by the Ortoroid people 3000 years before?
10. In 1782, the French invaded the islands of St. Kitts and Nevis against the British. The British garrison withstood a month-long siege by the French before succumbing at which of the following fortresses?
Source: Author apathy100
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.