Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. You are served a beautiful dish of lomi lomi salmon. Where is this most likely being offered to you?
2. A bonbon is any small candy or sweet which is coated with chocolate or fondant. From what country/language does the term derive?
3. Name a hot frothy drink made of sweetened milk and chocolate which is phonetically but not orthographically reduplicant.
4. In West African cooking, starchy vegetables such as yam, plantain and cassava are boiled and pounded to produce which staple food?
5. In an authentic Japanese restaurant, you are served a bowl of boiling-hot dashi broth and a platter on which thinly-sliced beef, tofu, mushrooms and vegetables are artfully arranged. You take your food, one piece at a time, and dip it in the hot soup just until it is cooked. Then you dip the morsel in a flavourful sauce such as ponzu and quickly eat it. What dish are you enjoying?
6. Some food words are reduplicant in more than one language. What, for example, is piri piri or pili pili or peri peri or pil pil?
7. You are served a bowl of dandan noodles. What should you expect to eat?
8. In the delightful culinary mysteries written by Michael Bond, Monsieur Pamplemousse calls his wife (whose name is Doucette) "couscous" as a term of endearment. Culinarily speaking, what is couscous?
9. While vacationing in the Sandwich Islands, you hear someone announce that it is time for kaukau. What is the meaning of the Hawaiian pidgin word kaukau?
10. For dessert, you are served a small yeast-based cake soaked in rum and filled with some form of pastry cream. What's for dessert?
Source: Author FatherSteve
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.