Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Who was the English Crimean war heroine who had for a first name the name of the Italian city where she was born and as her surname the name of a 'sweetly singing' bird ?
2. Which of these Citygates of London refers to one of the first British Kings?
3. A number of coastal cities were specially selected as ports that were to bear the burden of defending England from Continental attacks. Rye, Deal, Sandwich,..were such ports. At first there were only five, they were called the CINQUE ports and the person in charge of surveying their military readiness was called the Warden of the Cinque Ports. Which of these celebrities is the only one never to have been given that (now mostly honorary) function?
4. Who was the leader of the defenders of Mafeking in South Africa during the 217 day long siege of that place?
5. Which of these English Kings got the nickname Fighting Harry ?
6. Which of these items should NOT be associated with Sir Walter Raleigh's life (yes there are some orthography variants...)?
7. Jane Shore lived in luxury among kings and courtiers. Yet she died in poverty. Which of these had she NOT been a mistress of?
8. Who was the one and only Englishman ever to become Pope?
9. Who was the Judge that after the Duke of Monmouth's rebellion sentenced about 300 prisoners to be hanged, had another 800 transported and sentenced many others to imprisonment or whipping?
10. Who was Old Parr (as in the pub's name Old Parr's Head) and what made him famous?
Source: Author flem-ish
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.