Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. James Bennett Jr. purchased a ship for the De Long Arctic expedition, which was renamed the Jeannette. What was its previous name? (Hint: it has some negative connotations.)
2. There were many ideas in the 19th century about what could be at the North Pole. A prevailing idea said that what could be found there?
3. What happened to the Jeannette in September 1879, just a few months into the voyage?
4. John Danenhower, the Jeannette's navigator, developed a problem with which body part?
5. About two years into the expedition, many of the Jeannette's crew became ill. What condition did they develop?
6. When did the USS Jeannette finally sink?
7. With the Jeannette gone, De Long and his men had to walk back to civilization. After marching for miles what he believed to be south, De Long discovered that they were actually farther north than when they started. How did this happen?
8. Though they failed to find the North Pole, De Long's expedition discovered a new group of islands now called the De Long Islands. What did they name the largest one?
9. The Jeannette expedition started out with forty dogs. How many survived the journey?
10. Did George De Long survive the Jeannette expedition and come home safely?
Source: Author Caseena
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.