Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Pocahontas' father, who was friendly to the colonists at Jamestown, led the Powhatan Confederacy. What was his native name?
2. Better known today as Squanto, this last of the Pawtuxet people greeted the Pilgrims upon first meeting them by saying hello in English. He is known for having helped the newly-arrived English survive in Massachusetts. What was his native name?
3. In 1832, the Sac and Fox tribes were defeated by the United States in a war which resulted in the loss to the tribes of their traditional lands in Illinois and Wisconsin, and their subsequent expulsion across the Mississippi River into Iowa. The war's name is that of a Sac (Sauk) chief. Who was that chief?
4. He was the second son of Massasoit, who befriended the English colonists in Massachusetts and was instrumental in fashioning the "first Thanksgiving." But after the deaths of his father and his brother, Wamsutta, he led the Wampanoag and Narragansetts in a revolt against the English which lasted a year, becoming known as "King Philip's War," King Philip being his English name. What was the Indian name of this ferocious resistor to the takeover of native lands in Massachusetts?
5. These Shawnee brothers led a great revolt against U.S. forces in the Ohio Valley just before and during the War of 1812, only to suffer devastating defeats at Tippecanoe in 1811 and at the Battle of the Thames in 1813. Who were these two charismatic leaders?
6. Who was the Powhatan princess who married an Englishman named John Rolfe?
7. Who was the Nez Perce leader who famously said, "From where the sun now stands I will fight no more forever" in 1877?
8. What was Geronimo's name prior to being called "Geronimo" as the result of an attack he made against Mexican soldiers?
9. What was the Christian name of Guarocuya, the Taino cacique of Hispaniola who led a successful rebellion against the Spanish from 1519 to 1533?
10. Which Mohawk is credited as co-founder of the Iroquois Confederacy?
Source: Author shvdotr
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.