Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The star Betelgeuse can be found in the constellation of Orion. From the perspective of an observer on earth, in what part of Orion can Betelgeuse be found?
2. From which time period do we have the first surviving description of Betelgeuse by an astronomer?
3. Since Betelgeuse is a red giant, it is larger than our Sun. According to most estimates of its size, which best describes the size of Betelgeuse compared to the size of the Sun?
4. If one compared the mass of Betelgeuse to the Sun, what would be the most likely result?
5. How does the surface temperature of the red giant Betelgeuse compare with the yellow Sun?
6. During which time of the year can Betelgeuse be best seen by the majority of locations on Earth?
7. Roughly speaking, how far is Betelgeuse from the Sun?
8. What do most astronomers estimate is the age of Betelgeuse?
9. Betelgeuse is a fairly slow-rotating star. At what speed is it believed to rotate?
10. What is the most likely fate of Betelgeuse when it reaches the end of its lifespan and explodes?
Source: Author bernie73
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor rossian
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.