Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Andy Murray reached the finals of the US Open in 2008 and the Australian Open in 2010. Which player denied him the trophy both times?
2. The 1983 cricket World Cup was won by India, who defeated a team aiming for a hat-trick of wins. Which team was it?
3. In 2003, the Rugby World Cup was won by England. Which team did they defeat in the final?
4. Super Bowl XXV in 1991 resulted in a one point win for the New York Giants. Who were the unlucky losers?
5. Lewis Hamilton won the F1 Championship in 2008 when he finished 5th in the Brazilian GP. Which driver won this race and thought he'd done enough to win the championship until the final moments of the race?
6. In the 1991 Athletics World Championships, held in Tokyo, Mike Powell won the long jump with a world record leap. Which defending champion had to settle for the silver medal?
7. Despite being 25 lengths clear at one stage of the race, Crisp was caught and overtaken by Red Rum just before the final post. In which 1973 horse race did this dramatic finish take place?
8. The 2000 Olympics in Sydney saw Ian Thorpe win three swimming gold medals, but he was beaten in the 200 metre freestyle by Pieter van den Hoogenband. Which country did Hoogenband represent?
9. Going into the final round of the 1996 Masters Tournament, Nick Faldo was trailing by six strokes. Which golfer fell apart under the pressure of leading allowing Faldo to claim the trophy?
10. At the end of normal time in the 1999 UEFA Champions League final, Manchester United was losing by one goal to none. Which team had the cup snatched from their grasp when United scored twice in injury time?
Source: Author rossian
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.