Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. I am in a large courtyard and I see a tall obelisk with a cross at the top. Not far in front of me is an intersection where the Via della Conciliazione meets the road that runs around the courtyard. There are a lot of devout people walking around, but their attentions seem to be focused on something behind me. What are they looking at?
2. I think I have just arrived on an island because I am standing on an old ferry dock. To my left is Ellis Island, about half a mile away. Straight in front of me, across the bay, I see some impressively tall skyscrapers. I am hearing some "ooh's" and "ahh's" as all the free citizens and tourists around me are tilting their heads up and gazing at something. What is behind me?
3. I certainly do not understand why there are so many people gathered here in this farmland! I am standing in the grass, facing south. I don't see much, just a 2-lane road called the "A303" a few hundred feet in front of me. Some bloke just told me "Ooh! It's brass monkeys out!", but I have no idea what he means. What interesting site has everyone around here gobsmacked?
4. As I dismount, I can see some large sandstone cliffs. There is a gift shop nearby, and several resting camels on the ground around me. Embarrassingly, I was facing backwards on the camel that took me through the narrow gorge called The Siq to get here. A woman, who is staring at something behind me, says to her friend, "You know, this used to be the capital of the Nabataean Kingdom." That would be helpful if I knew who or what the Nabataeans were. What impressive structure behind me is everyone staring at?
5. What a view! I am standing over 2,000 feet above sea level, looking down on a city and a couple of famous beaches named Ipanema and Copacabana to my right. However, I am confused because it is clear that not everyone is taking in this view! In fact, about half the people up here are admiring something behind me. What is it?
6. I am standing on a wide walkway with quite a lot of foot traffic. Directly in front of me is a road running left-to-right called "Quai Branly". Straight ahead, I can see a bridge called "Pont d'lena" (or Jena Bridge) that spans a river. Aside from a couple statues depicting ancient horsemen warriors, this seems like a typical intersection. However, before I bid adieu to this place, I begin noticing many people looking up at something behind me. What am I missing?
7. It is a beautiful day and I am on a small boat in a sunny Harbour. We are nearing a small island that used to function as a prison, and was known by the odd moniker, Pinchgut Island. The ferry captain smiles and asks, "So what did you think of that, mate?" in reference to something we just passed. I must have missed it because I have no clue what he is referring to. What did I fail to notice?
8. I hear a roar! Some sort of really loud, constant sound that is hard to explain! In front of me is a river that is flowing underneath what is called Rainbow Bridge. I am told that this river functions as the border for 2 large countries. I am standing beside a tower on some sort of observation deck, but what is it that I should really be observing?
9. There is a beautiful, long fountain that I am sitting beside. I see a woman wearing a tudung, which is a type of hijab, and I gather that some people around me are either arriving to work or leaving work. Not everyone seems to be working though. There must be other things to do here. Some are just standing with their cameras out. Others are carrying shopping bags. I am near a large intersection of roads called Jalan P Ramlee, Jalan Ampang, and Jalan Yap Kwan Seng. I assume "Jalan" means street in this country's language. What multi-purpose structure are people walking in and out of?
10. OK, I know this much: I flew into a city called Siem Reap and I am now standing on a long walkway made of stones that look very old. Palm trees line the walkway, and I'm fairly certain that I crossed some sort of large moat to get here, but I must have been staring down at my phone the whole time, because I still do not know why everyone is "oohing" and "ahhing" around me and talking about ancient history. Where am I?
Source: Author dirtyharry2489
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.