Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 1876, Rutherford B. Hayes won the US election in the Electoral College but lost the popular vote. Which man, who never offered a true concession speech, was the first man to ever win a clear majority of the popular vote and not win the presidency?
2. Which Chinese city has become a verb in English synonymous with abducting and also has an area known as the French Concession?
3. Which intellectual US Democrat conceded defeat by saying, "It hurts too much to laugh, but I'm too old to cry," after losing the presidency to a former general?
4. The Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Florida was named after the famous "Concession" in the 1969 Ryder Cup and was designed by Tony Jacklin and which 'bearish' golf legend?
5. Which US politician, after serving as vice president for eight years, then losing a hotly contested presidential bid, and finally losing a bid to be governor of California conceded defeat by saying, "As I leave you, I want you to know--just think how much you're going to be missing. You won't have _____ to kick around anymore--because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference"? (Fill in the blank)
6. In 2011, the Winklevoss twins finally conceded defeat in their attempt to reopen their lawsuit against which internet giant that they claimed had been their idea?
7. In 1976, Gerald Ford conceded defeat to Jimmy Carter but did not do so until the next day because the race was so tight. When he did 'quietly' concede, why did his wife, Betty, deliver the address at the press conference?
8. In the early '80s the concept of concession bargaining came into the national consciousness as the bad economy forced unions to make concessions to save jobs. Which automaker's bailout by the government and the resulting union concessions is seen as a prime example of this phenomenon?
9. Whose 1980 concession speech in the Democratic primary for the Presidency of the US is seen as a touchstone and clarion call for the liberal establishment in America?
10. In American politics, is a concession speech legally binding?
Source: Author tazman6619
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.