Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What is the name of the coastal town on Highway 1 famous as home to author Henry Miller, the 60's-inspired Esalen, and dramatic forest and shore scenery?
2. Continuing north on California Highway 1, we encounter a State Reserve dubbed the "greatest meeting of land and sea on earth" and which was a favorite of photographers Ansel Adams and Edward Weston. What is this place named?
3. Next stop off California Highway 1 is the upscale coastal town of Carmel-by-the-Sea where the owner of the Hog's Breath Inn became frustrated with local building ordnances and successfully ran for mayor. Who was he?
4. Near Carmel, north along California Highway 1 is the town of Pacific Grove, whose city motto names a certain type of creature and which is a great place to see them. What creatures are these?
5. Silicon Valley entrepreneur David Packard helped daughters Nancy and Julie pursue a special interest by writing a check for $32 million. What was built in Monterey, California, using the gift?
6. Next stop north on Highway 1 is Castroville, home to a festival devoted to a vegetable that grows with attractive silvery green foliage and blue-purple flowers. They still sell postcards of Marilyn Monroe as the 1948 queen of the festival, suitably immersed in a bin of what?
7. We continue north on California Highway 1 through Santa Cruz, and then to less traveled portion of the coast. A stop at Ano Nuevo brings with it some small danger to visitors who disobey the posted cautions at certain times of the year. What is the danger?
8. About 40 miles north of Ano Nuevo we go through Half Moon Bay to the small town of Princeton, location of Mavericks. From time-to-time in the winter the call goes out and people rush from all over the world to go to Mavericks to do what?
9. Just before Highway 1 merges into San Francisco, we travel through the town of Pacifica, where the San Andreas fault heads out to sea. The Pacifica summer festival is built around a contest to call what?
10. Finally, we cross the Golden Gate bridge and Highway 1 is notched into high cliffs along the winding shore. Eventually, the road turns inland and ends at Leggett, home of the Chandelier Tree. What is special about the Chandelier Tree?
Source: Author OldOne
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor minch
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.