Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The world's longest "motorable road" stretches from the northern coast of Alaska to the Tierra del Fuego National Park in Argentina. What is the collective name of this series of roads and highways?
2. There is a noticeable break in the highway called the Darién Gap. Between which two counties does the gap traverse?
3. Given the "non-connectedness" of the highway system, how wide is the Darién Gap?
4. The unhelpful terrain has made travelling through the gap difficult. What type of vehicle made the first crossing of the Darién Gap in 1960?
5. Given the distance of the Darién Gap is not too large, which is a factor why the gap has *NOT* been traversed by road?
6. Besides the 'natural' reasons for not traversing the Gap with a road, there are some political considerations as well. Which is the MOST important reason from those listed, why the Gap has never had a road to cross it?
7. There are a couple of small communities within the gap and they grow crops for food. What sort of crops are grown?
8. Whilst there is a diverse fauna in the Darién Gap, one of the reasons not many cross it is that there is also an abundance of dangerous wildlife. Which one of the following animals are you *NOT* likely to see in the Gap?
9. In the 1690s, a small country not known for its colonial capacity decided to establish a "world trading" nation on the Darién Gap. Which wee nation was this?
10. There are many people who want to travel the entire length of the Pan-American Highway but there are no plans to build a road crossing the Darién Gap. What is the most popular method for completing this journey?
Source: Author 1nn1
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.