Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This city is the capital of Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It is the most important inland port of Eastern Germany.
2. This French city was called Divodurum under Roman rule. It is the former capital of Moselle dept. It was under German rule from 1871 to 1918.
3. This city in Lombardy, Italy became a duchy in the 16th century.
It came to Austria in 1708 and was taken by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1797. The Duchy then became part of the Cisalpine Republic. It was restored to Austria in 1814. It was the site of one of the forts of the famous Quadrilateral by which Austria controlled Northern Italy in the 19th century.
4. This city in Slovenia was called Marburg in German. It is the second largest city of Slovenia.
5. This town (or rather a group of villages) in the Vaud canton, Switzerland was the site of an international conference in 1936 which agreed to return The Straits to Turkish military control.
6. This city was a center of Carthagenian colonization in Spain. It was conquered by the Moors in the 8th century. It was submitted to Castilian rule in the mid 13th century.
7. This city, formerly called Petrovsk, is the capital of Dagestan, one of the republics within the Russian Federation.
8. This city was a center of woolen and linen manufacturing in England from the 14th century. The first cotton mill was opened in 1781. It was a center of Puritanism in the 17th century.
9. This city in Belgium is called Bergen in Flemish. It was made capital of Hainaut in 804 by the Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne.
10. This city is the capital of Zeeland province, Netherlands.
11. This city in the Czech Republic was called Brüx in German.
12. This city is the third largest in Sweden.
13. This city is the former capital of Herzegovina. It is today part of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
14. This city is the capital of Belarus.
15. This town is the capital of the Åland Islands, Finland.
Source: Author author
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor minch
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.