Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The largest city in the Illawarra: what does 'Wollongong' mean in Aboriginal?
2. The southern-most town in the Illawarra Region is the beautiful isolated sea-side village of Gerringong, home of the famous Australian fisherman- Steve Starling and Australian Rugby League representatives Rod Wishart and Michael Cronin. What does 'Gerringong' mean?
3. Just north of Kiama is the town of Minnamurra. The main road to Minnamurra is through an 18-hole golf course. 'Minnamurra' means what in Aboriginal?
4. Warilla is known for its growing town centre and world class lawn bowling club. What is the Aborginal meaning of 'Warilla'?
5. A popular holiday spot for Sydney tourists is the township of Windang, situated at the mouth of the beautiful Lake Illawarra. What does 'Windang' mean?
6. During the 1950s there was a big influx of immigrants to the Illawarra due to the steelworks, located in the centre of the Illawarra Region. One of the most popular suburbs to be populated during this time was the commercial town of Warrawong. What is the Aboriginal meaning of 'Warrawong'?
7. Out west can be found the old town of Dapto - one of the first to be settled in the region. Famous for its dog track and for being the home of the Aussie icon- Norman Gunston, what does 'Dapto' mean?
8. At the foot of the Illawarra escarpment can be found the suburb of Unanderra. What is the meaning of 'Unanderra'?
9. Behind the suburb of Unanderra stands Mount Kembla, on which are found the suburbs of Mount Kembla and Kembla Heights. What is the meaning of the name 'Kembla'?
10. What is one of the possible origins of 'Illawarra'?
Source: Author illawarra3
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Exit10
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.