Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 1970 Anwar El Sadat succeeded who as the President of Egypt?
2. Which cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, who was the last Viceroy of India and mentor of Prince Charles, was killed by an IRA bomb on his boat in 1979?
3. In August of 1971 a duo of internationally known musicians hosted two benefit concerts at Madison Square Garden for the relief of refugees from East Pakistan that became known as 'The Concert For Bangladesh'. Who were the artists responsible for organizing what is now thought to be the template for Live Aid?
4. In 1975 this cricket superstar left Oxford and returned to his native Pakistan where he played on the national team he would eventually lead to its only cricket World Cup championship in 1992. He also gained fame for marrying the much younger British heiress Jemima Goldsmith. Can you name him?
5. In 1976 the group that is often called the first punk rock band released their self-titled debut album. By 2004 three of the founding members were dead. Can you name the band?
6. Designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon, one of the world's most recognizable buildings opened in 1973. What is this distinctive structure?
7. In 1978 Lisa Halaby, a former Princeton University cheerleader, made world-wide headlines by marrying this man. Do you know her groom?
8. The Smithsonian Institution received into its collection the 15,007,034th production number of this foreign-made car in 1972. Its manufacturer claimed this made it the best selling single make of car in history, overtaking the Ford Model T. What car was it?
9. In 1977 China saw the return to power of leader Deng Xiaoping after a coup d'etat ousted a political faction of Communist Party officials. This group controlled the Party in the latter years of the Cultural Revolution and has been accused of perpetrating the worst abuses of the era. What is the name of the group?
10. Time, Inc. began publishing this new 35¢ weekly magazine in 1974 that set an industry record by becoming profitable within 18 months. Which publication was it?
Source: Author brewster76
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.