Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. 1972 and 1974 saw the Oscar going to "The Godfather" and "The Godfather 2" for best picture. A first in Oscar history where both the original and the sequel win the big prize. Who directed these two movies?
2. The 1971 Grammy Awards saw this song and/or its performer(s) win five Grammys. What was the song, and who sang it?
3. In 1971 the Red River Delta flooded due to heavy rains. The floods killed 100,000 people. What country did this disaster occur in?
4. On July 28, 1976 China was hit by its worst earthquake in the 20th century. Twenty square miles of one city were completely destroyed. What city did the quake hit?
5. In July, 1976 convention attendees in Philadelphia, PA were struck by a deadly disease. Subsequently, the disease was given the name of the convention. What was the disease?
6. In January of 1979, the Shah of Iran was forced to flee his country due to a revolution. Who replaced the Shah as leader of Iran?
7. This pro football team had quite a winning decade in the 1970s, winning four Superbowls. Which team was it?
8. The 1970s saw this television show topped the Nielson ratings for five years in a row, beginning in 1972. Which show was such a big hit?
9. Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and the rest of the Muppet gang debuted their show in 1976. Who was the creator of the Muppets?
10. In the early 1970s, many people were seen participating in this fad. The participants had to be naked to do so. The fad even was seen at the 1973 Oscar telecast. What was the name of this eye opening fad?
11. In 1977 a movie was released that would popularize white leisure suits and disco music. What was the name of the movie?
12. This disco, opened by Steve Rubell in the late 70s in New York, was *the* nightspot to see and be seen at, but first you had to get inside those velvet ropes. What was this news making disco's name?
13. Andy Warhol became a pop icon during the 1970s. His loft became a hangout for the beautiful people, and his art works, were much in demand. In the late 1970s he started a series of art works that were unusual in the technique that he used. How did Warhol create these works of art?
14. Reggie Jackson, a baseball legend of the 1970s, became known by the nickname, "Mr. October". Why did sports writers give him this nickname?
15. Which heiress took part in a San Francisco bank robbery on April 15, 1974?
16. Who won the decathlon at the 1976 Olympics?
17. In 1971 the U.S. Supreme Court would unanimously rule busing could be ordered in order to achieve desegregration in the public schools. One city in particular made national headlines for its riots and protests after court ordered bussing began. Which city was it?
18. In 1975 two assassination attempts were made on the life of President Gerald Ford. The attempts would take place just 17 days apart. Both would be killers were women. One was Sara Jane Moore, a radical leftist and doctor's wife. The other was Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromme, a member of a murderous cult. Who was the leader of the cult?
19. In 1976 America celebrated its bicentennial. The year long celebration produced such things as Disney's "America on Parade" events, several fast food restaurants used commemorative glassware, grocery stores issued Liberty Blue china; there were commemorative stamps and coins, and more. One of the main events took place on July 4, 1976 in Philadelphia PA. Here President Ford gave a speech attended by members of Congress, Mayor Rizzo, governors, and other distinquished guests. The master of ceremonies would be this actor best known for his biblical roles. Who was the actor?
20. The 1970s saw many fads including Pet Rocks, platform shoes, mexican jumping beans, EST Therapy, Puka Shells, Daisy Dukes, and midnight screenings of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show". Another fad was the sayings, "Ayyii ..." and "Sit on it", started by this popular television figure. Who was the character and what show was he on?
Source: Author routesixtysix
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.