Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 1502 the great warrior, Emperor Ahuizotl, died and was succeeded by Montezuma II. How did Montezuma become the next emperor?
2. Hernan Cortes, the man who would be Montezuma's nemesis, came from a totally different environment. He had grown up in an impoverished region of Spain. Which region, whose name in Latin literally means 'extremity', is this?
3. A Mayan chieftain gave Cortes a slave girl who was of noble descent and spoke Nahuatl. She became invaluable as an interpreter. Her name was Malinalli, the Spaniards called her Marina, but she is best known under which name?
4. In April 1519 Cortes and his conquistadors finally came ashore in the Gulf of Mexico. There he founded a settlement which has become an important Mexican port city. Which city is this?
5. Cortes set off for a 400 km (250 mi) journey to Tenochtitlan. On his way he had to pass through the territory of a city-state whose residents hated the Aztecs. Their lands formed an enclave in the Aztec Empire and they lived in constant fear of an Aztec attack. Which city-state was this?
6. Cortes reached Tenochtitlan in November 1519. He was welcomed cordially by Montezuma who gave him free access to the city and let him stay in the royal palace. This was highly unusual for an Aztec royal who was of such an elevated status that even his own subjects weren't allowed to look directly at him. One possible reason for this leniency is that Montezuma mistook Cortes for an Aztec god who, according to legend, would one day come back from the east. Which god is this?
7. Cortes and his conquistadors were badly outnumbered in Tenochtitlan. Cortes made a bold move to turn the odds in his favour. What did he do?
8. Why did Cortes suddenly leave Tenochtitlan and return to the coast?
9. According to Spanish sources, how did Montezuma die?
10. How did Cortes eventually conquer Tenochtitlan?
Source: Author AlonsoKing
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.