Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Tenochtitlan was a city-state and the capital of the Aztec Empire. In which region of Mexico was it located?
2. Chinampas were fertile gardens used to grow crops in Tenochtitlan. From where did the soil fertility arise?
3. What environmental problem required ingenious solution to enable the Aztec cities to thrive? Many modern cities face the same issue.
4. The Aztec earth goddess, Coatlicue, had a double head of two snakes facing each other, and also snakes for arms, jaguar feet and a necklace of hearts and skulls.
5. The Aztecs were frequently at war. What usually happened to their prisoners?
6. The Aztec 'army' would almost always pillage and destroy the villages of their enemies.
7. The Aztecs used cochineal to dye cloth a vivid red color. What did Aztec children often collect in the fields to make this dye?
8. What was the severe punishment for a poor person caught wearing clothes that only the nobles were allowed to wear?
9. Aztec life was more than just warfare. Sport was also important. Ullamaliztli was a game similar to basketball but scoring (putting the ball through a vertical ring) was very difficult. Why?
10. Which major 'event' in 1519 precipitated a very rapid decline of the Aztec Empire?
Source: Author MikeMaster99
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.