Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. When we first see Buster, he's working at a movie theater. He's also in trouble. Why is his boss yelling at him?
2. We meet the girl (Kathryn McGuire), her father (Joe Keaton), and the hired man (Erwin Connelly), as well as Buster's love rival -- the local sheik (Ward Crane). While Buster is in the parlor giving Kathryn his cheap box of chocolates, Ward sneaks in unseen and steals Joe's pocket watch from a vest hanging in the entryway. We later learn that he steals the watch so he can pawn it. What does Ward want the money for?
3. Framed by Ward for the theft of the watch, a forlorn but determined Buster consults his detective manual. "Shadow your man closely," it advises. So Buster does -- almost as closely as a real shadow. But in a nonchalant attempt to pretend he's not following Ward, Buster gets locked in someplace. Where?
4. A demoralized Buster returns to the theater, threads the film for the movie, and falls asleep. His dreaming self steps out and checks out the show. The characters turn into familiar people -- Ward, Kathryn, and her father. Unable to wake his sleeping self, the dream self makes his way through the theater and jumps into the movie. What happens to him there?
5. The bulk of the movie now takes place within the movie that Buster had been projecting. Buster is now Sherlock Jr., the famous detective. What crime has he been called in to solve?
6. Buster, now the debonaire Sherlock Jr., arrives to solve the crime. Ward and the butler make three successive attempts to kill him -- with a poisoned drink, with a decorative ax rigged to fall on him, and with what else?
7. How does Sherlock Jr. find Ward's secret hideout?
8. Sherlock Jr. deliberately allows himself to be captured by Ward and his gang of thieves. This gives him a chance to learn that Kathryn has been kidnapped (and where she's being kept), and to grab the stolen goods. His escape is tricky -- a dive through a window, a dive through his assistant's stomach, a mad dash, and finally a motorcycle ride. What's so unusual about the motorcycle ride?
9. Sherlock Jr. manages to rescue the girl. They steal one of the thieves' cars to escape. The crooks give chase in the other car. But Sherlock Jr. manages to get rid of them -- only to have the body of his car fly off the frame and end up in the lake. How does he deal with this?
10. It's time to end the movie, and thus the dream. Buster is awake again, back in the projection booth at the theater. He was victorious -- sort of -- in his dream. And to keep the symmetry, he needs to be victorious in his waking life as well. Who vindicates him?
Source: Author ubermom
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor jmorrow
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.