Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Jimmy Rodgers sang the song that is #10 on the ISLA Top 10 Tribute Song list. The song chronicles a relationship from the time the songwriter was "a young man and never been kissed" to the twilight of his life when he is "old and ready to go". The song celebrates the thing that made his courtship and marriage so profoundly satisfying. What is it that makes the songwriter proclaim, "had a lot of kids, a lot of trouble and pain, but then, whoops oh lordy, well I'd do it all again"? (The phrase is also the title of the song.)
2. The composer and singer of #9 on the ISLA Top 10 tribute songs achieved instant stardom in 1957 with his plea to an older teenage girl. The song includes the following lines:
"You and I will be as free
As the birds up in the trees."
To whom is the song addressed? (The name is also the title of the song.)
3. In our #8 song, "You Send Me", Sam Cooke not only paid eloquent homage to his girl in that satin voice of his, but he also mentioned a word that once worked a special sort of magic on many women. Sam croons:
"At first I though it was infatuation
"But, ooh, it's lasted so long
Now I find myself wanting..."
What is it that Sam Cooke finds himself wanting to do?
4. A consummate musician performed Number 7 on the ISLA list of tribute songs. In 1950 Nat King Cole described a woman "so like the lady with the mystic smile". He plaintively asks , "Are you warm are you real _________ or just a cold and lonely lovely work of art?" Which name belongs in the blank? (It is also the name of this song.)
5. The #6 place on the ISLA tribute song lists belongs to a 1962 Johnny Mathis song. Johnny paid homage to his new love by saying:
"Look at you, look at you.
So warm, so sweet so shy.
Look at you, oh look at you
I can't believe that I'm such a lucky guy."
What was the name of the girl to whom Johnny sang this song? (The name of the girl is also the name of the song.)
6. An Elvis Presley recording has nabbed 5th place on the ISLA all time tribute song list. In 1957, Elvis Presley recorded a song that accurately and expressively conveyed the effects of the mouth-drying hormonal surge that a male adolescent may experience on actual physical contact with the opposite sex. The young King asks:
"A well I bless my soul
What's wrong with me?
I'm itching like a man on a fuzzy tree
My friends say I'm actin' wild as a bug
I'm in love
What three words belong in the blank, which are also the title of the song?
7. Were you a well-groomed teenage boy in the early 1960s, the kind given to wearing pullover sweaters with turtleneck t-shirts underneath and neatly pressed slacks? Then ISLA's #4 top tribute song, "The Way You Look Tonight", was your type of long song. Performed in three-part harmony by the Lettermen in a 1961 release, "The Way You Look Tonight" describes the laugh that "wrinkles her nose". The object of desire is described as being lovely, with a warm smile. What variety of physical contact is described in the song?
8. The Insipid Song Lovers Association is proud to award the third position in its all time list of tribute songs to a courageous song that Lloyd Price performed in 1959. Lloyd Price does not tell us whether the love of his life had a winsome or mysterious smile, whether her appearance was stunning, whether she kissed like a volcano, whether her motion was poetic or even whether she had pretty blues, wore blue jeans or lived next door. Eschewing the superficial, with what did Lloyd Price say his girl walked, talked, smiled, charmed and loved?
9. The second place on ISLA's top tributes list goes to a song that Neil Sedaka wrote and Jimmy Clanton performed. In ISLA's opinion, this tune is the consummate leader in one of the most important genres of the pre-Beatle rock era: the girl-next-door song. Keywords such as "seventeen", "next door" or "ponytail" often signal inclusion in this subcategory. Use of several rock and roll clichés is also mandatory. In this song our "Mona Lisa with a ponytail" is a "walking talking work of art". The songwriter informs us, "she's the girl who stole my heart". What important article of clothing does this "teenage goddess from above" wear?
10. When it came to picking ISLA's number one tribute song, we were "as helpless as a kitten up a tree." Every time we play the record "a thousand violins begin to play" and our vision hazes over. Yes, I'm "leading you on" a bit, but I'll bet "its just what you want me to do". So, unless you're "hopelessly lost", select the name of the winning song.
Source: Author uglybird
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor ralzzz
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.