Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. One reason that "Sail Away Sweet Sister" had been so neglected is that it was never released as a single - even on a B-side! On what 1980 album will you find this ballad?
2. The album version of "Sail Away Sweet Sister" sees usual frontman Freddie Mercury hand off the vocals for most of this tune to another member of the band - the fellow who wrote the song! Who is this intrepid musician?
3. On some editions, "Sail Away Sweet Sister" is listed with an additional parenthetical title. What subtitle is this?
4. Though well-composed musically, the lion's share of this piece's charm is probably in its lyrics, which balance the need to protect with the need to let go. What word goes in the blank below?
"Hey little babe you're changing
Babe, are you feeling sore?
Ain't no use in ______
You don't wanna play no more"
5. As the song continues, the singer makes it clear that he's afraid that his rapidly maturing sister is not ready for the world to perceive her as an adult. What goes in the blank below?
"It's plain that you ain't no baby
What would your mother say?
You're all dressed up like a lady
How come you _____ this way?"
6. Next comes the chorus, where we see the singer willing to let his sister take her own chances. What word goes in the blank below?
"Sail away sweet sister
Sail across the sea
Maybe you'll find somebody
Who _____ you half as much as me"
7. The chorus continues in the same reassuring, supportive voice. What word goes in the blank below?
"My _____ is always with you
No matter what you do
Sail away sweet sister
I'll always be in love with you"
8. The chorus is followed by a brief verse, also echoing the theme of support. What goes in the blank?
"Forgive me for what I've told you
My heart makes a ____ of me
Oh, you know I'll never hold you
I know that you gotta be free"
9. The chorus is sung again, but with a different second quatrain:
"Take it the way you want it
But when they let you down my friend
Sail away sweet sister
Back to my ____ again"
Again, this is a message of support - but it also promises that if there's any time the sister needs someone, the singer is there. What word goes in the blank above?
10. Though not one of Queen's better-known songs (hence the title of this quiz), "Sail Away Sweet Sister" was later incorporated into live performances of one of the 1980s most popular songs. What "hair band" epic was this?
Source: Author stuthehistoryguy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.