Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The name Blackbeard is synonymous with piracy, and Blackbeard was the epitome of villainy - cruel, corrupt, and cunning. What was his real name?
2. Why was the pirate flag called the Jolly Roger?
3. One of the the most famous pirates ever to sail was Captain Henry Morgan (yes, the chap on the rum bottle label!). He died at the age of 53. What was his fate?
4. In my not-so-very-humble opinion one of the best pirate yarns ever written is 'Treasure Island', and who could forget the Disney film of the book, made in 1950, starring Robert Newton as Long John Silver (arrr!)? Do you remember the name of the blind pirate in 'Treasure Island'?
5. Pirating was an equal-opportunity profession, even though it was dominated by men. There were two women who are usually featured in the list of the Top Ten Pirates. What are their names?
6. William Kidd also developed quite a reputation as a pirate. Legend has it that he buried much of his looted treasure in various locations. One such location is an island off the coast of Nova Scotia. Name the island.
7. By all the litmus tests for what constitutes a pirate, this chap passes with flying colours, and yet, to this day in England, he's a national hero. Who was this colourful character?
8. Not all pirates terrorized the shipping lanes in the Caribbean. The Barbary Coast was also a favourite haunt. Where is the Barbary Coast?
9. Long John Silver had a parrot. What was its name?
10. In the hilarious song by The Arrogant Worms, what did the Last Saskatchewan River Pirate do for a living before he became a pirate?
Source: Author Cymruambyth
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.