Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The English word "pirate" is derived from which of the following Latin terms?
2. Which of these personalities was kidnapped by Cilician pirates in 75 BC?
3. Which buccaneer led the expedition across the Pacific coasts, recorded by Basil Ringrose?
4. The Wokou pirates of East Asia first appeared in the 13th century, with a pirate raid in Korea. To which East Asian country did they originally belong?
5. The Cossacks of Eastern Europe raided Turkey three times. Parts of Istanbul were burnt, which forced the Ottoman Sultan to flee his palace. In which year did this incident take place?
6. Which Portuguese vessel did the pirates John Taylor and Olivier La Bouche capture at Reunion Island, robbing the ex-Viceroy of Goa of diamonds and rare oriental treasures worth more than £800,000?
7. Which pirates captured the Mughal ship Fateh Muhammed in 1694?
8. The most famous and extensive pirates in medieval Europe were the Vikings, warriors, raiders and looters from Scandinavia. Which period in history is often referred to as the "Viking Age"?
9. The flag flown in order to identity a pirate ship is called Jolly Roger. When did this term first come into use by a pirate(s)?
10. Piracy does not exist any more.
Source: Author reenarage
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor DakotaNorth
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.