Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. During the "Golden Age of Piracy" just two women were ever convicted of piracy. One was Anne Bonney, but who was the other?
2. Brothers Jean and Pierre Lafitte, the "Gentleman Pirates", were renowned for their fair and even handed treatment of the crews of captured ships, often returning the vessel back to its original crew once they had purloined the cargo.
Unable to run their 'business' properly when the US Embargo Act of 1807 came into force, they founded their own port which was soon a thriving town. Where was this?
3. In 1801, a fleet of notorious Pirates got together and declared war. The First Barbary War had begun, but who had the Pirates declared war on?
4. Charlotte Badger and Catherine Hagerty were the first Australian female pirates. They captured a ship and sailed it to New Zealand. What was the ship's name? (It is still sung about in, ahem, impolite company.)
5. Perhaps the most famous pirate of all is Blackbeard. Can you remember the name of his ship?
6. One of the first English pirates was Lady Aethelflaed; on the death of her husband she took over the captaincy of the English fleet and sallied forth to fight the Vikings in the early tenth century. Her father was even more famous than she was; who was he?
7. Which famous fictional pirate was the Captain of the Black Pig?
8. The "Lady Pirate of Kootenay Lake" is something of a local legend in her part of British Columbia, Canada. Legends of her exploits abound; she dressed as a man until a severe injury, which cost her an eye, meant she was found out by a ship's doctor. With her secret exposed, she stole a boat and turned to piracy, striking terror into the hearts of everyone who crossed her path. Eventually she was betrayed by a member of her own crew, captured, and died in jail. Who is she?
9. Should you happen to be troubled by Pirates, which Saint might you invoke to beg for protection?
10. Academics J.Haqq-Misra and M. Larson published a research paper showing that when the traditional pirate activities of making people walk the plank, singing sea shanties, and fighting sea battles decrease, something else increases.
What increases as piratical doings decrease?
Source: Author Rowena8482
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Snowman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.