Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Goalkeepers have a reputation for longevity, and many have played well into their forties. Which African country fielded a 45-year-old goalkeeper in the 2018 World Cup?
2. Which German goalkeeper, formerly a paratrooper, played for Manchester City in the 1956 FA Cup final with a broken neck?
3. Sometimes, when a goalkeeper is injured or sent off, an outfield player has to go in goal instead. Which Sheffield United player found himself between the sticks after Paddy Kenny was injured in a game against Arsenal?
4. Being a goalkeeper means throwing yourself at the ground and, naturally, there's also the risk of being kicked in the face or head. Which Chelsea goalkeeper had to wear a helmet while playing, after suffering a skull fracture against Reading in 2006?
5. Apart from being goalkeepers, what else do Denmark's Peter Schmeichel, Brazil's Alisson Becker, England's Kevin Pressman, Colombia's Rene Higuita, USA's Tim Howard and Paraguay's Jose Luis Chilavert all have in common?
6. In his youth, Spanish singer Julio Iglesias played as a goalkeeper for Real Madrid's reserve team.
7. In which year was the Lev Yashin Award, later known as the Golden Glove Award, officially introduced for the best-performing goalkeeper in a World Cup tournament?
8. Retired goalkeepers often go on to become goalkeeping coaches, but the odd one goes into football management instead. One such example is Portugal's Nuno Espirito Santo. Which England team did he manage from 2017 to 2021?
9. The USA might be known more for American football, basketball and baseball, but it has its fair share of footballers (or soccer players), and a few of them have played in the UK. One example is Kasey Keller, who was asked by pundit Jim Rosenthal, "So what's an American doing playing in goal for Millwall?" What was Keller's answer?
10. You might not believe a goalie can dance, but both "Strictly Come Dancing" and "Dancing on Ice" have each had a former England goalkeeper competing. David James, formerly of Liverpool and Watford, appeared on the seventeenth series of "Strictly Come Dancing", but which goalkeeper got his skates on for the first series of "Dancing on Ice"?
Source: Author Kankurette
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.