Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The 1965 Dodgers were known for their strong pitching and weak offense. Their chances of winning the N.L. pennant appeared almost hopeless after their best offensive player suffered a season ending injury just 17 games into the season. Who broke his ankle and was lost for the season?
2. The Dodgers lost their best hitter for the season due to a broken ankle just two weeks into the season. Who was the journeyman player they called up from the minors to take his place?
3. The pitching staff was anchored by Hall of Famers Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale. How many games did they combine to win in 1965?
4. Who was the Dodgers' third starter behind Koufax and Drysdale who chipped in 15 wins in 1965?
5. Who was the rookie second baseman that tied for the team lead in home runs and won the N.L. Rookie of the Year award?
6. Which of the following feats were the 1965 Dodgers, the first team in Major League baseball history to accomplish?
7. On September 9, Sandy Koufax pitched a perfect game in beating the Cubs 1-0. The Dodgers themselves got only one hit. Who was the Cubs' pitcher who threw a one-hitter and lost?
8. The 1965 National League pennant race was a thriller, with 6 teams within 5 1/2 games of first place on September 1. In September, the Dodgers went on a winning streak to ultimately win the N.L. pennant by 2 games. How long was this game-winning streak?
9. Among players with at least 75 at-bats, who led the 1965 Dodgers in both batting average and slugging percentage?
10. Willie Mays hit more home runs that the entire Dodger team in 1965?
11. The Dodgers' brilliant starting pitchers had a league-leading 58 complete games, but occasionally needed help from the bullpen. Who led the Dodgers in saves in 1965?
12. Why didn't Sandy Koufax pitch game one of the 1965 World Series?
13. The Twins stunned the Dodgers by winning games one and two of the World Series, beating ace pitchers Drysdale and Koufax in the process. Who helped the Dodgers get back in the series by pitching a five-hit shutout in game three?
14. Who hit a home run off the left field foul pole in the 4th inning of game 7, breaking a scoreless tie as the Dodgers won, 2-0.
15. Sandy Koufax was 26-8 with a 2.04 ERA, and he set the single season strikeout record with 382. However, he finished 2nd in N.L. MVP voting. Who was the 1965 N.L. MVP?
Source: Author angels2002
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.