Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Who was the captain of the 1978 Dodgers?
2. With nagging injuries and off years by Rick Monday and Glen Burke, center field proved to be a weakness for the 1978 Dodgers. Whom did they acquire midway through the season to play center field and try to shore up this weakness?
3. The 1977 Dodgers were the first team to have four players hit 30 or more home runs in a season. How many Dodgers hit 30 or more in 1978?
4. The Dodgers and Reds had a great rivalry in the 1970s, as they accounted for 9 of the 10 N.L. West titles in the decade. But another team was also in contention for the division title in 1978. Which team?
5. The Dodgers were in 3rd place when they called up a young pitcher in late June. Filling both starting and relief roles, this pitcher won 7 games, saved 3 and posted a 2.02 ERA as the Dodgers eventually took over first place in mid August. Who was this pitcher?
6. Another incident is credited with awakening the Dodgers from their lackluster play. After this happened, they went 21-11 and turned a 1 game lead into a 7 1/2 game lead with 7 to play. What happened?
7. Which pitcher led the Dodgers in wins in 1978?
8. In game 4 of the National League Championship Series vs. the Phillies, which Philadelphia outfielder dropped a fly ball in the bottom of the 10th inning that ultimately helped the Dodgers score a run and win the pennant?
9. The Dodgers' joy at winning their second straight N.L. title turned to sorrow the next day as their popular 1st base coach and former player died tragically at age 50 of a cerebral hemmorage. Who?
10. The highlight for the Dodgers in the World Series was in game 2 when Bob Welch struck out Reggie Jackson in the 9th inning to save the Dodgers 4-3 win and give them a 2-0 Series lead. What was the situation when Jackson struck out?
Source: Author angels2002
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.