Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Before they played in the 1959 World Series, the Dodgers had to defeat what team, as they finished tied for 1st in the National League?
2. What Dodger set a World Series record when he hit two pinch hit home runs in the 1959 World Series?
3. What player was named MVP of the 1959 World Series, after winning 2 games and saving 2 games.
4. Who did Sandy Koufax whiff for his World Series record 15th strike out, in game 1 of the 1963 World Series?
5. What Dodgers' 3-run homer proved to be the difference in their 5-2 victory, in game 1 of the 1963 World Series?
6. Sandy Koufax won two games in the 1963 World Series, and set a single game strikeout record with 15 in game 1. But the best pitched game of the series may have been in game 3 when what pitcher allowed only 3 hits, struck out 9 and walked none, in a 1-0 Dodger win?
7. In 1965, Sandy Koufax did not pitch game 1 in observance of Yom Kippur, a Jewish holiday. Who started in his place and didn't last through the 3rd inning in an 8-2 Dodger loss?
8. The Twins appeared to be in good shape after beating beating Sandy Koufax in game 2 of the 1965 Series, as they headed to L.A with a 2-0 series lead. Who tossed a complete game, 5-hit shutout to get the Dodgers back in the series?
9. Who hit a solo homer off the left field foul pole in game 7 of the 1965 Series, to give Sandy Koufax the only run he needed as the Dodgers won the series?
10. In game 2 of the 1966 Series, this normally sure handed fielder made 3 errors in one inning, leading to 3 unearned Oriole runs in their 6-0 victory. Who was the player?
11. In the 9th inning of game 2 of the 1974 Series, the Dodgers were clinging to a 3-2 lead, when reliever Mike Marshall picked what Oakland runner off first base to stop a potential rally?
12. In game 5 of the 1974 Series, the Dodgers were facing elimination and trailed 3-2 in the 8th inning. Which player led off the inning by being thrown out trying to stretch a double into a triple?
13. When Reggie Jackson hit 3 homers in game 6 of the 1977 Series, they were his only three homers of the series?
14. Who was the MVP of the 1977 World Series?
15. When Bob Welch dramatically struck out Reggie Jackson in the 9th inning of game 2 of the 1978 World Series, who was the Dodgers' winning pitcher?
16. In game 4 of the 1981 World Series, this Dodger's clutch pinch hit 2-run homer ignited a rally that saw L.A. overcome a 6-3 deficit, in an 8-7 victory that evened the series at 2-2. Who was the player?
17. Yankee relief pitcher George Frazier set a record by losing 3 games in the 1981 World Series. Who was the other Yankee pitcher who took a loss in this Series that was won by L.A. 4 games to 2?
18. While Reggie Jackson was known as "Mr. October", because of his post season heroics, Yankee owner George Steinbrenner dubbed this player, "Mr. May" after he batted .045 with only 1 RBI in the 1981 Series. Who was the player?
19. Much has been said and written about Kirk Gibson's dramatic game winning home run off Oakland relief ace Dennis Eckersley, in game 1 of the 1988 Series. That home run helped Gibson earn the MVP of the World Series award?
20. What former Oakland A's player had a big role in the Dodger's 1988 series victory, as he was on base when Gibson homered in game 1, and he homered himself in the game 5 clincher?
Source: Author 81gaucho
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.