Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. We should certainly start a quiz about the tallest structures in the world by asking about the tallest building in the world. There was some controversy about this category (for example, does a nine-meter antenna count as part of the "building"?) until January 2010, when a skyscraper was built that eliminated all controversy, becoming the tallest structure ever built in the world. Where is it?
2. Dubai is a city absolutely fascinated with heights--engineers there have constructed several absolutely massive buildings, many of the tallest in the world. Adjacent to the tallest of these buildings, there is a decorative structure which is also the tallest of its kind in the world. This beautiful structure is over 275 meters (900 feet) long, can be as high as 150 meters (500 feet), and is the centerpiece of several differing shows and performances. What is this structure?
3. Changing from the modern to the ancient, which of these wonderous structures still qualifies as the tallest tomb in the world?
4. Tall buildings are impressive, but it might be stretching it to call them "fun." Conversely, the structure Kingda Ka which is located in New Jersey, USA, became in 2005 the world's tallest of what kind of entertaining structure?
5. Construction of the world's tallest tower using a common but unexpected building material was completed in 2008. It stood at a height of over 29 meters (96 feet), but what was this tower made of?
6. One has to credit residents of Bethel, Maine (USA) for resiliency - they turned a miserable season into a world record. In 2008, Bethel residents created "Olympia," a 37-meter (122 foot) construction made of what material?
7. On to something a bit more useful. The Nurek Dam, at 300 meters (984 feet) tall, was at its construction in 1980 the tallest dam in the world. It produces enough electricity to sustain nearly the entire country. In what country is it located?
8. In my personal opinion, the dome is one of the most elegant and beautiful architectural achievements. Which of these famous buildings houses the tallest dome in the world (measured by internal height)?
9. Okay, this one isn't a structure--but it certainly qualifies for those who have "high hopes," and it's definitely trivial. Guinness has certified ladies' clothing manufacturer LadyBWear Limited of Cheshire, England as making the highest of this women's clothing article in the world. What is it?
10. And to finish out the "high hopes" of our engineers, which of these amazing lighthouses was the tallest of its kind for hundreds of years?
Source: Author avrandldr
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.