Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Before Madagascar became an island, it was still attached to a subcontinent. What is the name of the subcontinent?
2. Which Portuguese ship captain was the first to sight the island known today as Madagascar?
3. Who began to inhabit Madagascar from the late 17th century through the early 18th century?
4. Starting in 1787, the Imerina, or Merina Kingdom, ruled over Madagascar. The Imerina leaders were captured by French forces in 1897. The leaders were then sent into exile. Where were the Imerina leaders sent?
5. What country did Madagascar gain independence from in 1960?
6. On January 24, 2009 in Antananarivo, the capital of Madagascar, a strike was called by Andry Rajoelina, who was the mayor of Antananarivo at the time. The protest was against how the president was running the country. The protest quickly turned violent. Who was the president of Madagascar at the time?
7. One of Madagascar's major exports is vanilla. What major soda company buys some of Madagascar's vanilla to use in their soda?
8. What language became an official language of Madagascar in 2007?
9. "Ry Tanindrazanay malala ô!" is the title of the Madagascar national anthem in its native language, Malagasy. What does it translate to into English?
10. What site in Madagascar was chosen as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1990?
Source: Author ThurstAsh
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.