Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In which US state is Mammoth Cave National Park located?
2. Mammoth Cave was so named because of the discovery of a mammoth's skeleton within the historic entrance.
3. Mammoth Cave is the longest known cave system in the world.
4. What is the average temperature (in Fahrenheit) inside the caves?
5. How was Mammoth Cave formed?
6. Humans began exploring the caves centuries ago, but it wasn't until white settlers appeared that it became famous. Over the years the caves have been used for many different functions. Which of the following was NOT one of the uses?
7. One function of the cave in the early 1800s was as a mine. What important substance was mined here and used during the War of 1812?
8. Another use of the cave in the 1800s was as a hospital. In 1841, Dr. John Croghan brought 16 ailing patients with him into the cave, and set up living quarters there. He claimed the cave air would cure them of their illness. Which illness was the good doctor attempting to cure?
9. There is a wide selection of cave tours offered at the park, varying in physical intensity and duration. How many different entrances to the caves are used during the various cave tours?
10. Being centrally located, Mammoth Cave National Park is very popular among Americans living east of the Mississippi. About how many visitors does the park receive each year?
Source: Author djsgal
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor minch
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.