Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. We start our journey with a short hop from Melbourne, Victoria to Sydney, New South Wales. After takeoff, we are heading due north, so it is time to find out whether we can continue flying in this direction all the way to Sydney. After looking at the map, what did the navigator report?
2. Ready to proceed, we decide to fly from Sydney to Tokyo. Once again, our takeoff finds us flying due north. There's no rush, as we will be flying for quite a while, but I want to know whether I should be correcting the flight path to the west, by turning to the left, or to the east, by turning to the right. After checking the map, what answer does my navigator have?
3. Tokyo has a lot of interesting sights, but it is time to fly on. Our next destination is Honolulu, where we plan to check out the surf at Waikiki. Since Honolulu is part of the United States, I set a course flying due east. After checking the map, what advice does my navigator give me about our course?
4. The surfing was great, and so was the luau, but now it's time to continue our journey. We take off, heading due east, and planning to make our next stop in New Orleans, in the southern US state of Louisiana, where we can listen to some jazz and enjoy the Cajun cuisine. Checking with the navigator, how am I told to modify my course, if at all?
5. It's time to fly down to Rio. We take off from New Orleans, flying southeast (on a bearing of 135T). After checking the maps, what advice should my navigator give me about our course?
6. The beaches in Rio de Janeiro have been a pleasure, but I want to go ride the London Eye, so it's time to head off again. I know that London is definitely north of Rio, and also east, since it is on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. Setting a course to the northeast (bearing 45T), I ask the navigator whether that is a good direction, or whether I should turn to be sure I get close to my intended destination. What is the answer?
7. I've always wanted to visit The Hermitage and its wonderful art collection, so we're off again to St Petersburg, in Russia. Setting a course to the southwest, I am about to set the plane on autopilot when I check with the navigator to see if I should make any adjustments first. What report should I receive?
8. All art-museumed out, I'm ready to fly to the eastern terminus of the Trans-Siberian Railway, Vladivostok, home of the Russian Pacific Fleet, and located near the borders with China and North Korea. It's basically a long way east - the journey is over 6500 km (4000 mi)! I set a course due east, and ask the navigator if I need to make any adjustments - over such a long flight, even a small error in direction will make a big difference in our final arrival! What response should I get?
9. Now I have a hankering to visit Bollywood, so we're off to Mumbai. I know that India is south of Vladivostok, so I set off heading due south and ask the navigator if that will get us to Mumbai. What advice should I receive in reply?
10. Time to fly home, and we're off to Melbourne. I know that Australia is at the eastern end of the Indian Ocean, so I plan to fly east to get home. What advice will my navigator give me after checking the maps?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.