Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. A.By a peace treaty signed in this city (1802) Napoleon reached the first high point of his power.
2. B. This city was the scene of a congress (1878) by which Romania, Serbia and Montenegro became independent states.
3. C. This city was the scene of a treaty (1660) by which Denmark ceded to Sweden the southern part of the Scandinavian peninsula.
4. D. In a peace treaty in this city (1745) after the 2nd Silesian War Austria confirmed the loss of Silesia to Prussia.
5. E. By a treaty in this city, then called Adrianople (1829) Russia secured the control of the Danube mouths and the right to protect Greece.
6. F. This city was the scene of the signing of the final peace of the Franco-Prussian war in 1871.
7. G. This city was the scene (1576) of a treaty between the Protestant provinces of Holland and Zeeland. They agreed upon the terms on which they would accept a peace with Spain.
8. H. On February 15, 1763 a treaty was signed here between Prussia and Austria to end the European part of the Seven Years' War (1756-63). It was later followed by a final treaty, made in Paris the same year to end the non-European part of the war, also called the French and Indian War.
9. K. This city was the scene of the signing of a treaty (1699) by Austria, Poland, Venice and the Ottoman Empire in which the Ottomans formally ceded various lands in Europe which it had lost in the preceding war, thus making the beginning of the disintegration of the Ottoman Empire.
10. L. By a treaty of this city (1629) Denmark withdrew from the Thirty Years' War.
11. M. The Treaty of Westphalia was signed here (1648) ending the Thirty Years' War.
12. N. According to the peace treaty of this city (1721) Sweden lost Karelia to Russia after the Great Northern War (1700-21).
13. O. A peace treaty was signed here (1660) by which the war between Poland and Sweden (1655-60) was ended.
14. P. The following important treaties were signed here: 1763 (concluding the Seven Years' War), 1783 (War of American Independence), 1814 and 1815 (Napoleonic Wars), 1856 (Crimean War), 1898 (Spanish-American War).
15. R. According to the peace treaty of this city (1697) the War of the Grand Alliance, also called the War of the Palatinate or the War of the League of Augsburg (1688-97) was ended.
16. S. A peace treaty of this city (1878) led to the enlargement of the Balkan states (Bulgaria) at the expence of European Turkey.
17. T. By a treaty between France, Russia and Prussia signed here (1807) Napoleon reached the second high point of his career.
18. U. A treaty signed in this city (1713) ended the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1713/14).
19. V. This city was the site of a congress (1814-15) which organized Europe following the reign of French Emperor Napoleon.
20. Z. After the War of Italian unification Napoleon III of France pressed for a quick reconciliation with Austria. This happened by a peace treaty in this city (1859).
Source: Author author
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.