Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Before diving in to the first dish on the FunTrivia menu of extremely spicy foods, we must first establish how 'spicyness' is measured. What is the name of the scale which is used to measure the spicy heat of a food, especially chili peppers?
2. This particular chili is renowned for being the bad boy of peppers. Registering at over 1 million Scoville units, for several years it was certified by the 'Guiness Book of Records' as the hottest chili in the world. In fact, in 2009, scientists in India were developing ways of incorporating this pepper into anti-terrorist grenades and personal protection aerosols. Which is it?
3. At well over ten times hotter than a jalapeno pepper, Scotch bonnet peppers are a sweet but fiery addition to cuisines worldwide. However, they are particularly popular when used in which style of international cuisine?
4. Some of the hotter ingredients in a curry release endorphins, or 'feel-good' chemicals, into the blood stream and may act as an aphrodisiac.
5. Which highly-populated country, famed for its curries and spicy cuisine, supplies around 70% of the global spice market?
6. The Brick Lane Curry House, New York City, is famous worldwide for challenging their customers to eat their "phaal" (or phall) curry - a curry so hot that similar challenges exist around the world looking for folk brave enough to eat this dish. But from where (according to Wikipedia) does phaal originate?
7. The name of which notoriously hot curry, particularly popular in the region of Goa, is shared with the 1998 hit football anthem by British band Fat Les?
8. 'Kimchi Jjigae' is a Korean broth of kimchi, mushrooms, tofu, garlic, and chilis - lots of them. This chili overload has earned the kimchi jjigae the title of one of the world's spiciest dishes. What on Earth is kimchi, though?
9. This chili is small but deadly. Also called the 'Thai chili', or Capsicum chinense, it originates in southeast Asia and packs at least 50,000 Scoville units-worth of heat. It is mainly red or green, and shares its name with a British frozen food company. Identify it.
10. A nice glass of cold water is just the thing you need if you're finding your meal too spicy and need to cool your mouth down.
Source: Author crazy baby
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.