Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This American chemist, born 1912, died 1999, won, along with his partner, the 1951 Nobel Prize for discovering plutonium and 3 other elements. He later contributed to the discovery of two more. His first name was Glenn. What was his last name?
2. This American physicist, born 1915, shared the 1964 Nobel Prize with 2 Soviet scientists for inventing and developing masers. His first name is Charles. His last name?
3. He was born in Ulm, Germany, in 1879. He won a Nobel Prize in 1921. What was his last name?
4. He was born in 1643. His work in astronomy, optics, and mathematics, among other fields, made him one of the greatest scientists of all time. Give his first and last name.
5. With two partners, this scientist from the United Kingdom won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2001 for discoveries in key regulators of the cell cycle. He is addressed as Sir Paul. What is his last name?
6. With partner E. Donnall Thomas, this scientist from the US won the 1990 Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology for his "discoveries in organ and cell transplantation in the treatment of human disease." Joseph is his first name. What is his last name?
7. He was born in 1847 and died in 1931. As a boy, he was known as "Al." He had 1093 patents. What was his last name?
8. This American astronomer died in 1997 at age 90. He was only 24 when he discovered the planet Pluto in 1930. His first name was Clyde. What was his last name?
9. With his partner, Hendrick Lorentz, this scientist from the Netherlands won the 1902 Nobel because of his work on the influence of magnetism on radiation phenomena. His first name was Pieter. What was his last name?
10. Born in Breslau, Germany, in 1865, he came to the US in 1889. He was a professor, theorist, and prolific inventor with over 200 patents to his credit, mostly in the field of electrical devices. He died at 58. His middle name was Proteus. His last name is spelled out as an acrostic by the first letter in each of answers 1-9. Just fill in his nine-letter last name:
Source: Author mickeygreeneyes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor thejazzkickazz
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.