Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. When Henry VIII's marriage to Anne of Cleves failed, what became of Anne?
2. Which of these did not serve as a minister in Henry VIII's government at any time?
3. Several monarchs have been termed "father of the Royal Navy". One of them was Henry VIII. What was the name of his great ship that foundered in battle with the French in the Solent in 1545?
4. Henry agreed to marry Anne of Cleves after he had seen her picture. Who was the artist that painted that picture?
5. In 1521, Henry VIII received the title "Fidei Defensor" ("Defender of the Faith") from Pope Leo X. Why was this title granted?
6. With which Holy Roman Emperor did Henry ally himself against Louis XII?
7. Which queen of the following queens was not a supporter of the 'new' religion?
8. Only one of Henry's legitimate sons lived to survive him. Which queen was the mother to his only legitimate son to survive?
9. One of the more prominent churchmen in Henry's time was Thomas Wolsey. He was a cardinal and aspired to be pope. In addition to cardinal, what other clerical title did he hold?
10. While married to Catherine Parr, Henry had Holbein prepare a cartoon for the creation of a tapestry to show the glory of his house. The bluff King Hal is shown in his typical hands on hips feet astride pose, behind him a pensive Henry VII. With them is the heir Edward. What queen is portrayed in portrait?
11. When she was queen, Mary I married Philip, son of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V. As a child, Henry had betrothed her to Philip's father.
12. Two of the men convicted of having committed adultery with Queen Catherine (Howard) were executed. One of them 'obtained grace' in that he was merely beheaded and spared the horrors of being hanged, drawn and quartered. Which of the men 'obtained grace'?
13. Jane, Viscountess Rochford, was executed for abetting Catherine's affair with Thomas Culpepper. What previous relationship had she had with the block?
14. One of the most horrible of Henry's deeds was the butchered execution of Margaret Pole.
15. Jane Grey, the nine days queen, succeeded to the throne after the death of Edward VI. Who engineered this succession?
Source: Author tripeuro
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.