Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The first sultan of Egypt and Syria ruled from 1174 until 1193. He is probably best known in European circles for his chivalrous conduct as he fought against Richard Lionheart during the Third Crusade, successfully defending the city of Jerusalem which he had captured following the Battle of Hattin in 1187. Which of these is the name commonly applied to him?
2. Qutb-ud-din Aibak was the first Sultan of Delhi, and the founder of the Mamluk dynasty. In what unusual fashion did he die in 1210, after only four years in power?
3. Orhan Gazi, son of Osman I, was the first to claim the title of a sultan in what famed empire that controlled much of the eastern end of the Mediterranean from 1299 until 1922?
4. Ruling from 1520 until his death in 1566, this sultan created quite a stir when he actually married one of his harem girls, Roxelana, whose involvement in political intrigue made her a controversial consort. Who was this powerful ruler?
5. The last sultan of Delhi, shown here, was defeated in 1526 by Babur, the first Mughal Emperor. What was the name of the last dynasty of the Delhi Sultanate? (Look closely at the picture.)
6. Abul Hasan, last sultan of Golconda (in southeast India) before the region was conquered by the Mughals, is remembered for his tolerance of other religious and ethnic groups. Which of these is a translation of one of his nicknames, 'Tani Shah'?
7. Tipu Sultan, also known as 'the Tiger of Mysore', spent much of his life fighting against a European power that was establishing control over most of India during the 18th century. What company was his primary opposition in the Mysore Wars?
8. Yusuf Ali Kenadid founded the Sultanate of Hobyo in 1878. In what African country, part of the Horn of Africa, was this sultanate located?
9. This picture is part of a poster showing most of the sultans of the Ottoman Empire. The central image is that of Mehmed V Reshad, the 35th sultan, who ruled from 1909 to 1918. What significant event during his reign led to the demise of the Ottoman Empire during the reign of his half-brother Mehmed VI in 1922?
10. Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien was considered one of the world's richest men at the start of the 21st century. By what title was he most commonly known?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.