(a) Drag-and-drop from the right to the left, or (b) click on a right
side answer box and then on a left side box to move it.
Heathrow Terminal 5
Harrow & Wealdstone
5. Elephant & Castle
7. High Barnet
10. Walthamstow Central
Select each answer
Most Recent Scores
Feb 07 2024
Guest 81: 10/10
Jan 17 2024
Guest 172: 7/10
Jan 15 2024
Jan 03 2024
Guest 82: 8/10
Jan 02 2024
Guest 37: 10/10
Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
Aldgate serves as the eastern terminus of the Metropolitan Line. Originally opened in November 1876 as one of the stations built to complete the Circle Line, the station's original train shed is still in existence, although today it is masked by the current station building, which was erected in 1926 to a design by Charles Walter Clark, the chief architect of the Metropolitan Railway. Today, trains from Aldgate go to three of the western termini of the Metropolitan Line - Uxbridge, Amersham and Chesham.
Amersham station originally opened in September 1892 as part of the Metropolitan Railway's extension to Aylesbury. From March 1899, trains of the Great Central Railway originating from the new London terminus at Marylebone also served the station. Although the Metropolitan Railway was electrified in 1925, this was only as far as Rickmansworth, which saw trains propelled by steam locomotive retained on services out to Amersham until the full electrification of the Metropolitan was completed in 1961. Today, Amersham is the second most westerly station on the London Underground, and the second furthest from Central London.
Bank serves as the eastern terminus of the two-stop Waterloo & City line, the shortest line on the London Underground. Originally named as City, the Waterloo & City line platforms opened in August 1898, providing a link between the City of London and Waterloo station, located south of the River Thames. Initially forming part of the London & South Western Railway, Bank was one of the few stations located within the City of London to be part of British Rail, until 1994 when, on the privatisation of BR, the Waterloo & City line became part of the London Underground.
Waterloo's platforms on the Waterloo & City opened in August 1898 at the same time as the rest of the line, and formed the first part of what is now Waterloo tube station. Owing to the restrictions on running railways into the City of London, the Waterloo & City Railway was constructed as a deep level underground route to connect Waterloo, at the time one of the busiest main line stations in London, with the City.
Although Barking station was originally opened in 1854, the London Underground did not arrive until 1902, when the District Railway was extended from Whitechapel. Services on the District Railway were fully extended to terminate at Barking by 1908. At this time, services from Hammersmith along the Metropolitan Railway ran to terminate at New Cross. These services were withdrawn in 1939, instead going on to terminate at Barking. Barking then became the eastern terminus of the Metropolitan Line which, in 1990, was then split into two sections, with the Barking to Hammersmith part being renamed as the separate Hammersmith & City Line.
Hammersmith station, the western terminus of the Hammersmith & City Line, is one of two separate stations to carry the name (the other is on the District and Piccadilly lines). The station opened in December 1868, replacing another that had been located slightly further north, which had been part of the westward extension of the Metropolitan Railway from Paddington in 1864. From 1877, the station additionally served as the terminus for services to Richmond, in addition to the original service along the Metropolitan Railway route, although this service ended with the advent of electrification in 1906, after which it served solely on the Metropolitan Line to Barking, the route of which became the Hammersmith & City Line. In 2009, Hammersmith gained additional services, with it then also becoming the western terminus of the Circle Line.
Answer: Heathrow Terminal 5
Cockfosters was opened in July 1933 as the terminus of the new extension of the Piccadilly Line north-east from Finsbury Park. The opening of the station took place four months after the previous station, Enfield West (now named Oakwood) was opened. The station was one of a number designed by Charles Holden along the extension, although it is regarded as somewhat more modest than many of the others. The station serves as the main eastern terminus of the line, with most trains concluding their journey there.
Heathrow Terminal 5 opened in March 2008, coinciding with the opening of the passenger terminal at Heathrow Airport with which it shares its name. The station was built at the end of a short branch off the Heathrow loop, a single track, single direction loop at the western end of the Piccadilly Line that links the other terminals at Heathrow. Upon its opening, services to the airport were split, with half of the Piccadilly Line's services running to Terminal 4 and then Terminals 1, 2, 3 around the loop, and the other half terminating at Terminal 5. The station also serves as one of the western termini of the planned Elizabeth Line service.
5. Elephant & Castle
Answer: Harrow & Wealdstone
Although the underground originally came to the area of South-East London known as the Elephant & Castle with the opening of the City & South London Railway in 1890, it was in August 1906 that the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway opened its southern terminus in the locality, five months after the opening of the rest of the line. Designed by Leslie Green, the BS&WR station remains in use as the primary entrance to the Bakerloo Line platforms. However, a new station entrance is planned with a view to providing better surface interchange between the Bakerloo and Northern Lines, which is also intended to facilitate the potential southern extension of the Bakerloo Line.
Harrow & Wealdstone was originally opened in 1837 by the London & Birmingham Railway. It wasn't until 1917 that London Underground services, in the form of an extension of the Bakerloo line north from Willesden Junction arrived at the station. However, these services, which ran north to terminate at Watford Junction, were withdrawn in 1982, with the Bakerloo terminating further south at Queen's Park. Two years later however, the service was reintroduced, with Harrow & Wealdstone serving as the northern terminus. Today, the London Underground platforms are shared with London Overground's service to Watford Junction.
Answer: West Ruislip
Epping station originally opened in 1865, but not as part of the London Underground. Instead, for the first 84 years of its existence, it was served by trains from Liverpool Street mainline station. In 1935, as part of the "New Works Programme" of the newly formed London Transport, the Central Line was extended eastwards by taking over the route to Epping that was run at the time by the London & North Eastern Railway. Epping finally became part of the Central Line in 1949, becoming the eastern terminus of the line's main route. However, it also served as the western terminus of the shuttle service on the short branch to Ongar, which was incorporated into the Underground in 1957, and was run until 1994.
West Ruislip was opened as Ruislip & Ickenham in 1906 by the Great Western & Great Central Joint Railway (GW&GCJR) on its route towards the Midlands via High Wycombe. It wasn't until the advent of London Transport's "New Works Programme" that the station was incorporated into the Underground, as part of a planned extension of the Central Line as far as Denham in Buckinghamshire. However, the introduction of the Metropolitan Green Belt saw this plan cut back, with the Central Line now planned to terminate at Ruislip & Ickenham, which was renamed as West Ruislip when the service began in November 1948. The journey from West Ruislip to Epping, at 54.9km, is the longest possible single journey on the entire London Underground.
7. High Barnet
High Barnet was opened by the Great Northern Railway in April 1872, as the northern terminus of a branch off the line from Finsbury Park to Edgware. Following the creation of London Transport in 1933, plans were made to incorporate this route into the Underground network, as part of London Underground's "Northern Heights" plan to extend the network into north London. The Northern Line began serving High Barnet in April 1940; after a year of passenger services operate by both London Underground and the London & North Eastern Railway, LNER services ended in 1941, and the station became wholly part of the Northern Line, serving as the northernmost of its three northern termini.
Morden is the southern terminus of the Northern Line, and is the most southerly station on the entire network. Built as part of the planned extension of the old City & South London Railway route south from Clapham Common by its then owner, the Underground Electric Railways Company of London (UERL), the station, which was one of the first to be designed by Charles Holden, opened in September 1926, and rapidly became a transport hub, with numerous bus services to areas of south London and north Surrey calling there. Morden is the only station on the extension built in the 1920s that is not in tunnel, instead being built in a shallow cutting just to the south of the two tunnel portals.
Although Stratford station has a history going back as far as 1839, it was only in December 1946 that it was added to the London Underground, when the station began to be served by the Central Line. In the late 1990s, much of the lower half of the station was completely rebuilt for the eastward extension of the Jubilee Line, for which Stratford had been selected as the terminus. This saw the construction of a brand new ticket hall to go alongside the new terminal platforms for the Jubilee Line, with the station opening for service in May 1999.
Stanmore station was originally opened in December 1932 by the Metropolitan Railway, which became the Metropolitan Line of London Underground the following year. Part of a new extension into north-west London, the construction of new deep tunnels at Baker Street saw the branch transferred to the Bakerloo Line in 1939. After half a century on the Bakerloo, in 1979 the Stanmore branch was then absorbed into the newly opened Jubilee Line, giving Stanmore the distinction of having served as the terminus of three different Underground lines since it opened.
Upminster station originally became the eastern terminus of the District Line in 1902, when some services were extended by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR) from Whitechapel. However, these ended in 1905 as the MDR electrified its route only as far as East Ham. Although plans were in place to electrify the remainder, this was only completed in 1932, at which point Upminster was restored to the Underground network. Today, Upminster serves not only as the District Line's terminus, but is also the terminus of London Overground's route to Romford, and is also a through station for main line services from Fenchurch Street.
Wimbledon is one of three western termini on the District Line, and is also one of just 10% of London Underground stations located south of the River Thames. Although it traces its history back to 1838, it was in June 1889 that the MDR opened its extension from Putney Bridge to serve Wimbledon. This saw the station moved from its original site on the western side of Wimbledon Bridge to one on the other side. The District Line was the first part of the station to be electrified, which was completed in 1905.
10. Walthamstow Central
Although Walthamstow Central's history dates from 1870, when it was opened by the Great Eastern Railway, it was only connected to the Underground network upon the opening of the Victoria Line in 1968. However, when the line was originally conceived in the mid 1950s, the terminus was intended to be one stop further north-east at Wood Street, where it would have emerged from in tunnel. This proposal was dropped in 1961, with the line truncated back to Walthamstow, with the terminus located, along with the rest of the stations on the line, in tunnel.
Brixton station is the southern terminus of the Victoria Line, and was opened in 1971. However, it was not the first proposed underground station for the area as, in 1897, the City & Brixton Railway was authorised to construct an underground route from Brixton to the soon to be abandoned terminus of the City & South London Railway at King William Street. The current Brixton station has a large glass front, which is believed to display the largest example of the Underground roundel logo anywhere on the network.