Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Boa Sr was named for her tribe, the Bo, which inhabited the Andaman Islands. To which country does this territory belong?
2. The Bo were said to be one of the oldest human cultures on Earth, being established shortly after the first humans walked out of Africa. At the time of Boa Sr's death (2010), what was the generally agreed age of the Bo tribe?
3. Great Andamanese is an umbrella term for the languages spoken by the tribes which exist/existed on the Great Andaman archipelago. How many individual tribes (and therefore tribal languages) are recognized to make up the Great Andamanese languages?
4. When a permanent British colony was established on the Andaman Islands (around 1860), there were 5,000 Great Andamanese tribal members, but at the time of Boa Sr's death (2010) there were reported to be only 52 remaining. As well as suffering greatly from diseases brought by settlers, what reason was given for this dramatic decline in the Andamanese population?
5. Boa Sr was the sole speaker of the language of Bo for thirty years, yet her comments about recent events, such as the 2004 tsunami, have been translated for many to hear. How was this done?
6. The Great Andamanese (once made up of several sub-tribes) is just one of the tribes found on the Andaman Islands. Which of these Andamanese tribes was declared to have died out in the early 20th century?
7. Boa Sr revealed that she envied the remaining tribes who lived together in the jungles. What is believed to be the main reason for the continued existence of tribes such as the most populated on the Andaman Islands, the Sentinelese?
8. In 1970, the Great Andamanese tribes were relocated to Strait Island. Which city, also the capital of the Andaman Islands, is located close to Strait Island?
9. Another risk from outside contact has been identified in the neighbouring Jarawa tribe, who now number just a few hundred. This factor is thought to have contributed significantly to the decline in the Bo population. What factor is this?
10. The death of Boa Sr was a stark reminder of the loss of cultural diversity which continues to occur globally. Which of these is not true of Boa Sr's passing?
Source: Author doublemm
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor trident
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.