Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The first artist to popularize backwards lyrics was the Beatles. A prime example of this phenomenon is evident in the 1968 tune "Revolution 9." In it, John Lennon utters the phrase "Number 9, Number 9, Number 9" repeatedly. What does this phrase allegedly say when played in reverse?
2. Judas Priest is a famous heavy metal band. Years ago, the band was sued because their music allegedly contained subliminal messages. What are the last lines of their song "Beyond the Realms of Death" thought to say in reverse?
3. Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" is widely considered to be the greatest rock song ever. The song came under fire from critics who thought it contained a subliminal Satanic backwards message?
4. Onto the arena rock band Queen. Their hit song "Another One Bites the Dust" was another song accused of containing backwards messages. When it hits the chorus and Freddie Mercury calls out "Another One Bites the Dust!" he purportedly says in reverse "It's fun to smoke..." what drug?
5. Which famous John Lennon song has been considered to contain the phrase "the people war beside me" when played in reverse?
6. Which band put a likely intentional backwards message in their 1979 song "Empty Spaces"?
7. Electric Light Orchestra is one of the most famous progressive rock bands. Which one of their songs also contained a backwards message likely planted on purpose?
8. Not even the king of parodies, Weird Al Yankovic, was immune from accusations of Satanic reverse messages. What is the song "Nature Trail to Hell" alleged to contain backwards?
9. A song sung by a person close to John Lennon seems to contain a backwards line that reads "I shot John Lennon." Who is this person who sang the song?
10. And finally, we will close the quiz with a question about the grunge gods, Nirvana. Their 1991 hit song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" seemingly features what backwards lyric in the line "A denial, a denial, a denial..." (x3) at the end of the song.
Source: Author Blubernabber1
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor kyleisalive
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.