Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. When was Blackbeard born?
2. What was Blackbeard's real surname according to Robert E. Lee author of "Blackbeard The Pirate: A Reappraisal of His Life and Times?"
3. What second or third largest city in England around the end of the 17th century, located in the west of England at the confluence of the Avon and Frome rivers, was supposedly Blackbeard's birthplace?
4. Alexander Selkirk was a pirate who had been marooned by his captain on the Island of Juan Fernández. What famous book was seemingly inspired by his experiences according to Blackbeard historian Robert R. Lee?
5. Which British Act gave pirates more incentive to plunder enemy ships?
6. Blackbeard may have participated in which war which raged from 1702 through 1713?
7. Blackbeard met which captain in New Providence (Bahamas) under whom he would sail?
8. What kind of ship would become Blackbeard's flagship after he renamed it from the "Concord" of St. Malo to "the Queen Anne's Revenge"?
9. Which aquatic creature was often the foodstuff of pirates like Blackbeard's crew in the West Indies?
10. How many wives did Blackbeard allegedly have?
11. Blackbeard took up the "Act of Grace" (pardon) offered by which British king at the town of Bath, in North Carolina, in January 1718 and again in June 1718?
12. Stede Bonnet allegedly became a pirate because he could not stand what bane of some married men?
13. "Gentleman pirate" Stede Bonnet in a periwig and fancy clothes hailed through his speaking trumpet which pirate from his ship "The Revenge?"
14. Blackbeard picked up another captain to man his growing flotilla off Turneffe Island off of what country once called British Honduras?
15. On April 9, 1718, Blackbeard's fleet sailed into the Bay of Honduras and found five ships waiting to be taken. Did Blackbeard's forces prevail?
16. Assuming what title in May 1718 did Blackbeard and his pirate force blockade which South Carolina city?
17. Blackbeard decided to renounce piracy and discontinue any further piracy in line with a Royal Proclamation of King George I. To whom did he turn himself in?
18. After receiving a pardon based on a Royal Proclamation which forgave pirates who gave up their trade, Blackbeard settled in the small town of Bath, NC in June 1718. Legend had it that Blackbeard courted the daughter of what NC official?
19. Who performed the marriage ceremony of Blackbeard in Bath, North Carolina in 1718?
20. Blackbeard took a short vacation in what city-- the largest in Colonial America in 1718-- in the last year of his life?
21. Did Blackbeard shoot his First Mate Israel Hands in the knee with a pistol?
22. Was Blackbeard killed at the Battle of Ocracoke Inlet by Lieutenant Maynard and his men on Friday, November 22, 1718?
23. Was Lieutenant Maynard according to Robert E. Lee in "Blackbeard the Pirate: A Reappraisal of His Life and Times" not as heroic as many made him out to be?
24. Did Blackbeard's First Mate Israel Hands survive the Battle of Ocracoke Inlet as well as the hangings of thirteen of Blackbeard's pirates on Gallows Road in Williamsburg, VA?
25. What was the name of the movie about Blackbeard that starred James Purefoy as Captain Blackbeard?
Source: Author Taltarzac
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.