Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. El Salvador's coastline has a unique feature among Central American countries. What is this feature?
2. El Salvador is bordered by Guatemala and Honduras. What is the name of the mountain range which forms much of the border between El Salvador and Honduras?
3. El Salvador is largely divided into two regions, the interior highlands and the Pacific lowlands. How much of the area (approximately) of El Salvador do these Pacific lowlands cover?
4. El Salvador has over fifty rivers, however only one of these rivers is commercially navigable and is considered the most important river in El Salvador. What is its name?
5. El Salvador is known as the 'Land of Volcanoes'. Which volcano earned the nickname 'Lighthouse of the Pacific' as its eruptions and glowing lava were visible at a great distance?
6. In 1976, a bulldozer unexpectedly unearthed an ancient Mayan village which had been buried by the eruption of a volcano in approximately AD 595. Known as the 'Pompeii of the Americas', what is the name of this village?
7. The climate in El Salvador is tropical and the year is generally divided between a dry season and a rainy season. When does the rainy season begin?
8. For many years, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua engaged in a dispute for the control of which gulf?
9. In January 2001, the US dollar was adopted as the currency of El Salvador. Prior to this change, what was the national currency?
10. The population of El Salvador is largely 'mestizo', that is mixed indigenous and European descent. Which of these are indigenous peoples of El Salvador?
Source: Author EmmaF2008
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Exit10
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.