Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Ellesmere Island forms part of which archipelago, having been given this name in 1953?
2. Ellesmere Island is called Umingmak Nuna in the Inuit language. What is the English translation of the name?
3. Which mountain located on the island is the highest in Nunavut and in all of the Arctic Cordillera?
4. Situated at the northern end of Ellesmere Island, which is the largest lake located entirely above the Arctic Circle?
5. Though contested by some, Robert Peary claimed and received many honours for being the first to reach the geographic North Pole on April 6, 1909. From September 1, 1908 until February 1, 1909, where on Ellesmere Island did he and his team winter?
6. In which of these settlements on Ellesmere Island does the Polar Environment Atmospheric Research Laboratory (PEARL) conduct their research?
7. Located on the south coast of Ellesmere Island, what is the largest northernmost civilian community of Canada?
8. What eusocial insects are found on Ellesmere Island?
9. Which of the following woody species grow on Ellesmere Island?
10. Between Ellesmere Island and Greenland lies which channel, bearing the same name (although not named for), as a twentieth century American President?
Source: Author szabs
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor spanishliz
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.