Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. When most skyscrapers are in the planning stages, a bank is consulted to loan money to the builder. This building was paid for in cash by the future owner in advance. Which skyscraper am I talking about? (Hint: It took lots of nickels and dimes.)
2. Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia determined that this place should be home to all future mayors of New York while they are in office. Can you identify the place where most mayors since LaGuardia have spent many a sleepless night?
3. Madison Square Garden is not on Madison Avenue; it is not square; there is no garden to speak of. How did it get this name?
4. The Flatiron Building is one of the most photographed skyscrapers in New York. What was its original name?
5. On New Years Eve, the ball drops at midnight from the top of a building on Times Square. Which building is it?
6. This skyscraper was built in just over one year--roughly 13 months, which is quite amazing given its size. What building on 5th Avenue and 34th Street am I talking about?
7. This apartment building is photographed and filmed exclusively from the outside. Even though several movies, like "Rosemary's Baby", took place there, no cameras or crews are allowed inside. (Filmmakers had to use a studio to recreate the interior.) What Central Park West building is it?
8. The World Trade Center is no longer around because of the attacks of 9/11. However, that wasn't the first time it had been attacked: a bomb exploded in the underground parking lot years earlier. What year was that?
9. This complex was intended to be an opera house and cultural center. However, during construction, the 1929 Stock Market crash and Great Depression struck. The owners decided it would be disrespectful toward the poor to build an upper class auditorium. It then became, and still is, a favorite public space and tourist spot. What complex in mid-Manhattan is this?
10. The Chrysler Building was the tallest building in the world for only two years. What skyscraper surpassed it in 1931?
Source: Author rocco6557
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor trident
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.